Fire Drill Requirement Malaysia : Fire Drill Requirement in Malaysia
Fire drills are critical for ensuring the safety of the staff, students, residents and clientele that enter your business, building or property. Practicing scheduled fire drills will help ensure individuals have the knowledge to safety escape a fire without injuring themselves or others.
Generally, the fire drill serve as an oppurtunity for the occupant to demonstrate , under simulated fire conditions, that they can perform evacuation safely and ensure they are aware enough of that responsibilities.
Body that is responsible and involved in doing and supervising fire drill is Fire and Rescue Department Malaysia (BOMBA) while regulations and guidelines associated in fire drill are Uniform Building By-Law (UBBL) 1984, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Codes and Standards, Fire Services Act 1988 and Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) code and also Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) 1994.
According to an online article entitled “Fire Drills ‘must be held at least once a year’” by The Star Online – libraries, hospitals, hotels, hostels, offices and government buildings must run fire drills at least once a year, said Tan Sri Noh Omar.
It is important to ensure that the people would always be vigilant and alerted of any emergency warning besides being aware of the immediate actions and emergency routes to be taken during the occurrence of a fire.
The fire drill also aimed to ensure that the Fire Safety Team and the Floor Captains/Assistant Captains could act quickly to carry out their responsibilities as a team in helping the staff to evacuate the building.
Pre-Fire Drill Procedures
To be conducted by supervisory staff or maintenance personnel. Contact the fire alarm monitoring company and advise them of the upcoming fire drill. Ensure to supply the monitoring company with the estimated timeline to conduct the fire drill.
Initiating the Fire Drill
Is there a “Fire Drill” feature on the panel? If yes, utilize this feature to activate alarms for the purpose of the fire drill. If no, activate the nearest manual pull station. Record the time from the activation of the fire alarm to the evacuation of all staff, students and following.
During the Fire Drill
Supervisory staff are to monitor the evacuation process and note any of the following:
• Are individuals closing the doors upon exiting rooms?
• Are individuals remaining calm and proceeding towards the nearest exit?
• Are individuals assembling at the designated assembly point?
• Are fire wardens (if applicable) ensuring the safe evacuation of all individuals?
• Are all individuals being accounted for (if applicable)?
• Are exits guarded to prevent re-entry into the building?
After the Fire Drill
1. Record the total evacuation time in the evacuation checklist report.
2. Silence the alarms, reset the manual pull station and reset the fire alarm system.
3. Ensure the fire alarm system is back to normal operating condition.
4. Inform individuals that they can re-enter the building.
5. Contact the fire alarm monitoring company to advise that the fire drill is complete.
6. Re-evaluate any concerns that arose during the fire drill and discuss as a group (ex. safety meeting).
7. Keep record of the fire drill and any notes on the evacuation checklist report.
Fire drill is one of the steps taken to lessen the possibility to trapped in a building during eruption of fire. Hence, it is very important for every building to practice fire drill, especially for high-rise building.
According to Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia (BOMBA), high-rise building had a higher risk compared to other type of buildings. However, there might be problems arise to practice fire drill especially in high-rise building.
Fire is a hazardous and life threatening towards living things.
Although it said that not all fire resulting in death but the effect came from outbreak of fire are rather alarming.
It is further worsening if fire occurred in the building which fully occupied by the human being.
Hence, it will absolutely cause an enormous loss of property and in extreme cases the fire can lead to progressive building and structural collapse.
Hence, fire drill is one of the steps that can mitigate the risk being trapped in a building during eruption of fire.