What is FM-200 Fire Suppression?
FM-200 is a synthetic/chemical fire suppression gas and extinguishes a fire by removing the free radicals or heat elements from the fire triangle which is Oxygen, Heat and Fuel.
FM-200 (HFC-227ea) is formed from the elements carbon, fluorine and hydrogen (CF3CHFCF3-heptafluoropropane). The primary extinguishing mechanism of FM-200 is heat absorption, with a secondary chemical contribution from the thermal decomposition of FM-200 in the flame. It is discharged into the risk within 10 seconds and suppresses the fire immediately.
When used at standard design concentrations, it is safe for occupied spaces. FM-200 leaves no residue. Most common metals, such as aluminum, brass, steel, cast iron, lead, stainless steel, and copper, as well as rubber, plastic, and electronic components, are unaffected when exposed to FM-200.
How safe is FM-200?
FM-200 fire suppression is found as an active compound as a propellant in medical inhalers. This goes without saying that FM-200 gas is extremely safe for occupied spaces with the correct fire suppression design.
FM-200 fire suppressant (HFC-227ea) can be safely used where people are present.
How are FM-200 systems designed?
FM-200 is stored as a liquid in pressurized cylinders. When discharged, the liquid flows through a piping network into the protected area, where it vaporizes. The amount of gas delivered from each nozzle is carefully calculated to deliver the proper amount of FM-200 to each protected area.
How does FM-200 work?
There is a common misconception that FM-200 gas reduces oxygen this is not true! FM-200 extinguishes fires through a combination of chemical and physical mechanisms. A typical design concentration provides the required amount of gas to extinguish flame.
The typical concentration of an FM-200 system is normally 7.9% to 8.5%. This concentration is determined by the risk that is being protected and by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and the ISO14520 standards for fire suppression systems.
Who uses FM-200 System?
FM-200 Fire Suppression is a suitable agent for normally occupied spaces. FM-200 fire suppression systems are commonly used in:
- Telecommunication facilities
- Computer rooms
- Control rooms
- Historical archive storage
- Art galleries
- Pharmaceutical and medical facilities
- Record storage facilities
- Offshore Platforms
- Engine/Generator Rooms on Marine Vessels
FM-200 systems are a trusted choice for waterless fire protection. FM-200 is more appropriate in places of residence or work of the people, and in places, archives and barns which houses expensive electronic equipment or precious things because water or foam can damage or destroy any servers or computer equipment. When using gas FM-200 this danger is eliminated.
Advantages of an FM-200 fire suppression system
The main advantage of FM-200 fire suppression is the small amount of agent required to suppress a fire. This means fewer cylinders, therefore less wasted space for storage of FM-200 cylinders.
FM-200 systems reach extinguishing levels in 10 seconds or less, stopping ordinary combustible, electrical, and flammable liquid fires before they cause significant damage. FM-200 extinguishes the fire quickly, which means less damage, lower repair costs.
Like any other fire suppression system, FM-200 systems are designed with an extra margin of safety for people. Refilling FM-200 is simple and cost-effective, therefore, it also means less downtime and disruption to your business.
FM-200 is classed as a clean agent which means that it is safe to use within occupied spaces. The safety of FM-200 fire suppression environments is proven in over a decade of real-world experience and validated by extensive scientific studies.
The use of chemical gas FM-200 is also very advantageous in places of storage of expensive electronic equipment and important documents. The most harmful effect that may occur with FM-200 gas in areas of fire is the possibility of a small drop in temperature. The gas does not lead to corrosion and does not conduct electricity.
FM-200 systems take up less storage space than most other fire suppressants.
In addition to the fire protection benefits of using FM-200, the environment will benefit as well. FM-200 fire suppressant does not deplete stratospheric ozone, and has minimal impact on the environment relative to the impact a catastrophic fire would have.
FM-200 fire suppression is a solution that is already working in more than 100 thousand applications, in more than 70 nations around the world.
FM-200 Systems consists of the following components and their associated accessories:
- FM-200 Storage Components – Storage components consist of the cylinder assembly(s), which contains the FM-200 chemical agent, and the cylinder bracket(s), which holds the cylinder assembly securely in place.
- FM-200 Distribution Components – Distribution components consist of the discharge nozzles used to introduce the FM-200 into a protected hazard along with the associated piping system used to connect the nozzles to the cylinder assembly.
- Trim Components – Trim components complete the installation of the FM-200 system and consist of connection fittings, pressure gauge, low-pressure supervisory switch, electric valve actuator, and manual valve actuator.
- Slave Arrangement Components – Slave arrangement components consist of the pneumatic valve actuator(s), actuation check valve, vent check, actuation hose, and fittings required for a multiple cylinder (slave) arrangement.
- Supplemental Components – Supplemental components include the discharge pressure switch and manifold check valve. They supplement the core equipment or complete a specific multi-cylinder configuration.
- Control Panel – This device monitors the condition of the electric actuator, detectors, warning devices, cylinder pressure, and any manual release and abort stations. All electric or electronic devices must connect to the control panel in order to function.
- Early Warning Detection and Alarm Devices – Early warning detection devices coupled with manual release and abort stations maximize system efficiency while audible and visual alarm devices alert staff of alarm conditions.
If you want to know more information about Fire Suppression System Malaysia, don’t hesitate to reach us at 03 – 7831 4791 and also can WhatsApp us (24h) to have a chat with our Team Support or just EMAIL US at [email protected]
Credit: co.uk/fm200-gas.aspx, http://www.janusfiresystems.com/products/fm-200/, http://smartechbd.com/portfolio/mac-product/