Kitchen Fire Extinguisher : How To Extinguish Kitchen Fire
Records of fires almost 6,000 premises are destroyed by fire every year. According to Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) statistic between 120 to 150 died because of fire that occur at home. This happen because of the negligence of human, thus from the disaster most of us are most panicked when facing fire in the kitchen because they do not know how to extinguish kitchen fire for Kitchen Fire Extinguisher. Besides a lot of things can trigger the fire that can make the fire spread quickly.
The question: Do you know what to do when there is a fire in the kitchen? Do you have to use a fire extinguisher or even contact the fire department immediately? Check out the following tips :
Fire caused by oil
Fires caused by oil should not be handled like handling fire. Rule No. 1: Don’t pour water on the flame. The best way to handle it is to reduce it, if possible, and let it die
Follow the steps below :
- Every time you cook, provide gloves for the oven, pot holders (nappies), and a lid that fits with the pan so you can immediately use it in case of a fire.
- If the oil in your pan grabs the fire, immediately wear the oven glove, then place the pan lid that fits on it to extinguish the flame. Try to slide the lid against the direction of the fire source while lowering the lid.
- Turn off the stove and leave the pan in place while cooling it.
- Don’t move the pan, never take it out or put it in the sink. And don’t lift the lid until it’s really cold
Fires caused by ovens, microwaves and electricity
Fires in the kitchen can occur anywhere in the kitchen – near electrical outlets, in the microwave, or on the stove. And here are some tips to help you on how to extinguish kitchen fire, find out what to do in the event of a fire with a cause like this :
- Fire from the oven. Immediately close the oven door and turn off the oven. If the fire is not immediately extinguished, contact the fire department.
- Check the oven and repair it before you use it again.
- Microwave fire. Close the microwave door and keep it closed. Turn off the microwave and unplug it if you can do it safely.
- Leave the door closed and do not use it again until you are examined by a qualified technician.
- Fire due to electricity.
- Prevent electrical fires by not using excessive power outlets. If the fire starts, use a fire extinguisher; never water it with water.
Fire due to gas cylinders
How to extinguish kitchen fire that due to gas cylinders?
- Do not panic if you find the gas in the kitchen has a leak and do not run or flush the water if there is a fire coming out of the hose that is leaking, you simply pull out the regulator that sticks in the LPG tube then the fire will die automatically.
- To detect this gas leak itself is very easy, usually if the hose or regulator is loose then there is a very distinctive sound or smell from the gas. If the condition is like that, then unplug the regulator first and double-check the installation
Use fire extinguishers
Each kitchen must be equipped with a Kitchen Fire Extinguisher. Choose labeled safe to use for all types of fire, and place it in an easily accessible place. If the fire starts, you won’t have time to read the instructions for using it. And here are tips on using a fire extinguisher :
- First, pull out the safety pin – this tool won’t work if you don’t pull it out.
- Point the extinguisher to the fire source, not the top.
- Hold on the handle, press down on the lever, and release when you have finished using it.
- Spray horizontally back and forth on the flame until it goes out, remember to point it down.
Never hesitate to contact firefighters in the event of a fire. But if the fire is still small, try the tips above to put it out while waiting for help to come.
You also have to make sure your family members get out of the house immediately, if the flames are enlarged and spread, use Kitchen Fire Extinguisher. You should get out too Remember safety priority: Protect yourself and your family members, and immediately ask for help.